Ethical fashion - These two words are currently being thrown about a lot and as a topic that has always interested me, I thought I'd tell you some more about it:
What is ethical fashion - and why? There are a number of different factors that come into play ...
- Locally sourced - supporting local communities and requires less transportation.
- Fair trade - non-exploitative, a fair price and wages given to workers. Ensures that workers have safe working conditions, do not work long hours and are able to afford food and healthcare.
- Environmental impact - clothing manufactured using methods to reduce resource use, water, minimise pollution.
- Organic - grown without the use of pesticides or chemical fertilisers, supporting the soil and environment.
- Re-cycled and re-used - reduces the need to use up new resources.
- Breaks down - uses materials that will eventually degrade in an environmentally friendly way e.g. shoes that use stitching instead of glue.
- Dyes - uses low toxic dyes.
- Packaging - minimal and degradeable or recyclable packaging.